Built by George Ashton, a prominent member of St. Peter's Church, General Warren Inn was owned by the Penn family at the time of the American Revolution. Operated by Peter Mather as the Admiral Warren during the Revolution, the tavern gave Warren Avenue its name. Mather, a Tory, was credited with informing the British of the position of General Anthony Wayne's troops before the Paoli Massacre in September 1777.
Around the Warren Inn, Warren shops, an early community was built around the late 1700s. Here a blacksmith, wheelwright and general store served as a crossroads stop along the Lancaster Turnpike.
The present General Warren Inn was built in 1831 after a fire destroyed the original. The General Warren Inn is located at 9 Old Lancaster Road.